Wednesday 21 April 2010

Sophie Calle




I recently purchased Sophie Calle's M'as-tu vue? from Amazon. The book is a collection of images, writings and memoirs from her life as a conceptual artist. I found it's contents so intimate and profound, reading it felt like getting to know a person rather than reading a book. Her work appeals to me as its importance is in the journey of creating the piece, and the meaning behind it, rather than focusing the attention to its outcome. One of my favourite (and well-known) pieces of her work is 'Suite vénitienne' (Please follow me), in which Calle took on the roll of a detective and chose to follow strangers on the street 'for the pleasure of following them, not because they particularly intrested me', making notes of there actions, taking photos of them and listening to thier conversations. Her subjects become involved in her work unknowingly and possibly unwillingly. Aside from the fascinating and intimate stories it contains, it is also a rather beautiful publication, printed on a mixture of size/colour/textured papers and encased in a padded cover. Best 30 dogs I've spent in a long while.

No comments: