Monday 27 July 2009

Paper engineering, round 1

Making pop-ups uses the combination of folding and cutting the same sheet of paper to make 3D surfaces. In some ways, folding and cutting are opposites: folding contracts a sheet, whereas cutting expands it, so using the two together can create forms impossible to achieve by folding alone.

I have been interested in making a pop-up book for some time so researched some simple methods on the internet and these are my first few attempts! In many ways, making pop-ups is similar to orgami but i wanted to combine book making with this to produce a children's book.

I have just tried simple methods of folding and cutting so I can get to grasps with the process, then as my skills improve I will be able to adapt these structures with my artwork, to develop my own ideas and characters.





No comments: