Wednesday 18 March 2009

COMM TECH; Screen printing, devouré

I created a heart shaped stencil using thick paper and a craft knife then used this to screen print onto some recycled fabric.
I liked the results even though it probably wasn't as effective as i would have hoped i think with some beading or extra substance it could translate nicely into a interior print to be used on curtain fabric.



I then used this same stencil to try Devoré. It is a process of chemically destroying a component of a composite fabric. Normally the burnout technique uses protein-cellulose or synthetic-cellulose composite fibres especially constructed for this purpose. The technique described here refers to burning-out of cellulosic fibres, such as cotton, linen, viscose from composite blends.I used velvet in this example but the fine fibres in the velvet and the detail of the stencil meant sections of my sample peeled away. If i tried with a thicker fabric this method could work on cushions or even suite material. However, I don't plan to use it again as i found the process too time-consuming and difficult as well as expensive.

No comments: