Wednesday 18 March 2009

COMM TECH; Evaluation

Primarily i was disappointed at the prospect of another brief questioning my relationship with technology as i considered my work to be fairly distant from it. But when i was reassured i could take this brief anywhere i wanted, i soon began to see the positives. Coming from a fashion and textiles background, i had wanted to pursue this area for some time.
I researched old and new techniques including applique, devoure, gouache, embroidery, screen printing and fabric manipulation. I found out the practical and visual expectations needed to produce work of a high standard and applied them to my own work. Some of my practical work had little relevance to my final objectives but i wanted to address a wide range of technology based skills in order to maximize the potential of my understanding. For example, i did some machine knitting but didn't plan to use this in my final product, as knitting is a time-consuming and impractical solution for decorating a canvas bag.
I decided i wanted to apply the work i produced in this brief, so it had a purpose. I took issues such as cost into account when making this decision and wanted to create screen printed bags that were mixed with applique. I eventually wanted to sell these bags but due to lack of money i couldn't afford buy the equipment needed for this. However i used some second hand canvas bags i already owned and created a mock-up versions using an illustration, using fine-liner straight onto the bag and i also produced an applique. I thought the outcome of the dog applique was pretty successful, but the illustrated bag lacked the professional quality i was after. Using my experience of printing i can predict the use of printing equipment would solve this problem. To progress within my work i need to gain a greater understanding of managing my work around the costs of producing it. If i have been able to afford the canvas bags and printing costs i have no doubt my work would have been of a higher standard and a quality final piece would have been available. I would have also been able to develop my skills by spending more time in the print room, developing ideas and trying out new techniques. However, i have concluded that illustration and printing is an area i feel strong in and with time and effort, it can only grow stronger. By carrying on with this within the new project and my own time i can open my work up to a wider audience and feel it has a purpose. I want to create strong pieces of hand-made, individual, original work.
I consider the relevance of all my work and research important to the understanding i have gained about my own ability and my future within this field that i would like to continue with.

No comments: